A downloadable application for Windows, macOS, and Linux
JotDown is a markdown editing suite, designed to organize and edit markdown files in one or more directories.
Your files are stored in portable, standard markdown format on your machine.
JotDown has no cloud storage, but you can easily put your files in a directory shared with other systems via Syncthing/Dropbox/OneDrive/etc.
Files are organized by using standard yaml at the beginning of your markdown documents, letting you add document titles, categories and tags that live with your markdown documents.
As a markdown editor, JotDown has a number of standard and non-standard features, including:
- Rendering of flow charts and sequence diagrams
- Rendering of music notation and tabs
- Markdown preview including synced checkbox lists and diagrams
- A synchronized outline view for easier document navigation
- Typewriter and distraction free modes, removing UI and centering your text on the screen for improved focus, hopefully.
- Dark and light display themes
- (optional) Vlambeer-inspired powermode. Make writing streaks more exciting
What needs to be done:
- Neither the Windows nor Mac builds have been signed, which will either show a scary warning, or prevent JotDown from running entirely on your machine.
Abbreviated changelog. See development log for details.
- 2020-12-30: Significant preview performance improvements
- 2020-12-29: Added filtering and compact view to the file list (and it's now sorted). Some bugfixes and performance improvements.
- 2020-12-27: Added support for guitar tabs in a standard ascii format (see Help > Show Me an Example). Changed dark mode editor colors a little, guitar tabs are now use monospace font and better alignment control, better error display for charts and new ascii tabs in preview window.
- 2020-12-23: More new goodies! JotDown now supports find and replace in the editor. Two more types of charts added (flowcharts and state diagrams), syntax highlighting added for all music, tab and chart blocks. UI zooming now supported.
Minor tweaks for file saving, some UI updates.
- 2020-12-16: Lots of changes! Sheet music and tab rendering, new scrollbars, nicer outline in distraction free mode, panic escape from distraction free by hitting escape key twice, spellchecking disabled in music and diagram blocks, save as pdf directly from preview, and a bunch of UI tweaks.
- 2020-12-07: Minor font and style updates
- 2020-12-04: JotDown now supports spellchecking, bringing the familiar squiggly line to your notes and writing.
- 2019-11-26: Lots of changes when resizing window sections. Mostly it's more intuitive. Sometimes it's weird. Should be more difficult to end up with sections that extend beyond the window. Sections expand and collapse in a more accordion-like way, instead of getting stuck.
- 2019-11-24: Added autosave + save when jotdown loses focus. Added document outline tab based on document headings.
- 2019-09-23: Removed folder deletion (use your file manager for this instead). Added always-on labels for the two side panels for clarity. Moved away form self-contained exe to simple directory for Windows.
- 2019-09-21: Fixed adding adding directories failing, always prompting when reloading the app.
In order to download this application you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $8 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this application at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
If you can't afford, but wish to use, JotDown for any reason, please help yourself to a community copy. Feedback helps!
- Future updates, development plan4 days ago
- v0.14.2: Search for files, compact view, fixes23 days ago
- v0.13.0: Ascii guitar tabs, tweaks and features26 days ago
- v0.12.0: New stuff! Search, zoom, more highlighting30 days ago
- v0.10.3: Big feature update! (music formats, save as pdf, other good stuff)36 days ago
- v0.10.2: Visual updates45 days ago
- v0.10.0: Spellcheck Edition, and no longer free.49 days ago